Syllabus for Distibuted and Parallel Computing (CSC4005)
Instructor : 钟叶«C (Yeh-Ching Chung)
Office : Research A Building Room 403 (RA-403)
Phone. 0755-23519576 (Office)
Office Hours: Tuesday 10:00-12:00
Thursday 15:00 - 17:00
Goals : 1. Understand the distributed and parallel computing systems
2. Familiar with parallel and distributed languages MPI, Pthread, and OpenMP, and use them to design parallel and distributed algorithms
1. Parallel Programming - Techniques and applications Using Networked Workstations and Parallel Computers, Barry Wilkinson and Michael Allen, Prentice Hall, 1999.
1. Documentation (MPI, Pthread, OpenMP).
2. Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP, Michael J. Quinn, McGraw Hill 2003.
3. Designing and Building Parallel Programs, Ian Foster, Addison Wesley, 1995.
- Introduction to Parallel Computers (slides-1)
- Message-Passing Computing and Programming (slides-2, MPI, tutorial)
- Multithread Programming (slides-8, Pthread)
- OpenMP Programming (Quinn-17, Quinn-18)
- Embarrassingly Parallel Computations (slides-3)
- Partitioning and Divide-and-Conquer Strategies (slides-4)
- Pipelined Computations (slides-5)
- Synchronous Computations (slides-6)
- Load Balancing and Termination Detection (slides-7)
- Sorting Algorithms (slides-10)
- Numeric Algorithms (slides-11)
- Image Processing Algorithms (slides-12)
Class participation - 10%
Programs - 90%
- Parallel Odd-Even Transposition Sort (HW#1, Description, Due at 23:59, 2018/10/25)
- Mandelbrot Set Computation (HW#2, Description, Due at 23:59, 2018/11/08)
- N-Body Simulation (HW#3, Description, Due at 23:59, 2018/11/22)
- Heat Distribution Simulation (HW#4, Description, Due at 23:59, 2018/12/06)
TA: Hongliang Zhu (¦¶¥°«G, firstname.lastname@example.org), Peipei Zhu (¦¶¨Ø¨Ø, email@example.com)
Last modified: 2019/01/07 15:36:10